Thursday 4 October 2007

What a long time!!

It's been almost 3 weeks since I last posted here. Three weeks tomorrow, in fact. Lots has happened in such a short space of time. Like being admitted to hospital to be sedated and put on a morphine drip because THE PAIN WAS MAKING ME DELUSIONAL. Fortunately, I have medical insurance, which means I only had to wait 2 days for an MRI scan, instead of the 4 months currently dictated by the extra long waiting list. I'm still trying to figure out how best to get a picture of the actual MRI up here, because my scribble doesn't do it any kind of justice:


That big black mess? That's what's left of my disc in the L5/S1 region. This piece of tissue has prolapsed, "obliterated the sciatic theca" (yes, the MRI report does, in fact, use the word OBLITERATED) and apparently now, parts of the disc are disintegrating, which (hopefully) should release some of the pressure. If not then it'll be epidurals and stuff, which I much prefer the sound of, as opposed to someone GOING ANYWHERE NEAR MY SPINE WITH A KNIFE. Because I'm not particularly wanting that. How this happened, I don't know. The surgeon described it as spontaneous, as I've had no history of back trouble and suffered no trauma. Weird. Anyhow - I'm now on severe amounts of opiates and diazepam, flying higher than a very high kite. Woop! It almost makes up for the fact that I was meant to be on holiday in Portugal this week.

HRH is home and doing fantastically! She is still unable to walk, by herself, but is able to stand for a couple of minutes unaided, she sits in the correct position, and when we take her outside with her special sling, she moves both legs trying to walk (although there's still no weight on her right leg).

It's the start of October, and I'm trying to organize a wonderful Christmas party for work. Everyone seems to be booked up for the dates that we're available, so I have my work cut out for me!

Anyhow, I'm back.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that you are doing better. Or are you? We were worried about you.

Anonymous said...

Yikes! That's quite a disc herniation you got there! Glad to hear that you're doing ok, albeit heavily medicated! And happy to hear that HRH is doing ok too!