Monday 22 October 2007

Where I send a wish to the sky up above that I can now start to gain a bit of normality... Please?

Things have gotten way out of hand. This whole slipped disc thing? Not once did the surgeon explain just what it would mean. How it would affect me daily. How it would make even the most mundane tasks seem as if I am climbing Everest or something. Walking Sam around the park takes almost 2 hours when it would normally take one. I have to give myself extra time when I have a bath because, hell, you try getting out of one of a bath tub with a prolapsed disc. And then the drugs. Oh, the drugs. If I didn't have to work, I'd be happy as Larry. Only on the odd occasion do they do nothing for the pain - the rest of the time I'm in a bit of a chemical-induced haze. I almost wish I'd told the surgeon to whip (what's left of) the disc out straight away. Anyhoo - it seems that I'm getting used to having to make all these changes - which I hope will not have to last for too long. I see the dude again on Thursday so hopefully he can just do the injections and I can get back to normal. Fingers crossed.

Friday evening was fantastic - after work we went out for a couple of drinks and watched the game for 3rd place in the Rugby World Cup. My boys in sky blue managed to trounce France once again, placing them 3rd in the world rankings with a final score of 34-10. The match was like a pressure cooker, and Honiss and his touch judges had their work cut out trying to keep a lid on the game as passion rose and tempers flared. Contepomi was incredible, sparking the whole team, and even the cave man wasn't able to douse the fire. The weekend was pretty dire for English sport. England lost the rugby, which was bound to happen, although I was rather surprised at how well they played. Unfortunately, the Springboks gave England no space whatsoever and Johnny had no room to try for any goal kicks. It was a shame, but the mistakes England made were amateurish which, to be honest, is not really what people expect from such a mature team. I put £5 on South Africa to win a couple of weeks ago when the odds were 5/2 - they were looking so strong, right from the start.

Things at work have been crazy busy, too. Although I was not able to go on my holiday because of my back, there's been so much to do, I have been running around like a hamster on speed. I have had to spend some time in Europe checking out tanks, sorting out VAT and other highly exciting stuff. Now, though, I really am back. I have no travel plans and things seem to be quieting down a bit on the Western Front, which means I should definitely have more blogging time. This weekend seems to have reflected the wind down nicely. On Saturday I visited a friend who's just recently had a baby. He's 8 weeks old now and weighs 12 lbs. This may not seem monstrous to people who know anything about babies, but when you look at the size of his parents, (all of 5 foot nothing) it makes you wonder just what part of their gene pool that little thing was pulled from. She is tiny - when I say 5 foot nothing I mean it - and yet she managed to push an 8lb baby out. All I can say is that she must have one stretchy cervix. So, baby Milton (do NOT ask) is a healthy, happy little boy. He has all 10 fingers and toes, is growing at a speed of knots, has these huge blue eyes and shock of dark hair (which seems to extend to his shoulders, the edge of his ears and his thighs - is this baby fluff? Or has she given birth to a chimpanzee?) and is simply beautiful. And makes me broody.

HRH has taken to walking most of the time now, instead of scooting along on her behind. She actually gets herself up, walks around and can even take herself outside to pee and poop (which, by the way, is SUCH GOOD NEWS). Her balance isn't so great, so when she gets over excited and tries to turn too quickly she ends up falling. We even took her out for a (very short) proper walk on Friday last week. She didn't poop for the whole of Saturday, so then we took her out to the park briefly where she promptly did 7. I have a feeling her colon must have been at breaking point - she lost about 3 lbs in as many minutes. Fortunately enough between us we had enough nappy sacks for the mess both dogs made. I think that's her way of saying that she wants to start going out again. We have to be very careful with her still, and she will be going back to the vet next week to have a check up, but things are definitely on the up. To those of you who donated, thank you so, very much.

By the way, has anyone seen this movie? Or this one? Are they any good?

No comments: