Tuesday 24 April 2007

Lonely heart

I find the lonely hearts ads in the papers so sad to read. People actually spend money having their 'GSOH', the fact that they have their 'OHAC', (own home and car) publicised. Sweet Lord. Surely these poor people haven't exhausted each and every avenue when it comes to meeting someone new? Even Internet dating has to be better than that. Instead of placing an ad in the local rag, in the hope that you will find 'The One'? Is there really any such thing as 'The One' anyway? You know, the one person that one individual who will be your partner for life, who will love and support you unconditionally - The One who 'completes' you. So many people Go looking for 'The One'. I mean, actively looking. As in, they actually won't settle for anyone else, because of course they will just know when 'The One' happens to come along. They will simply know, without actually having to know the person. In fact, according to some we are actually 'genetically encoded to seek The One'. I have seriously never heard such bullshit. I note that the author does not back up this statement with proof of any kind, nor does the author state where they got this little gem.

Do we really, seriously have one person for with whom we are destined to be? The one person to whom no one else can even begin to compare? The one who makes all other romantic relationships utterly pointless and insignificant because you are instead wasting your time and not looking for 'The One'? Can all bad relationships be simplified to the point where, that person was not The One so it obviously wasn't going to work out?

I have had my share of bad relationships. Some really bad. But I don't put that down to the fact that they weren't The One. I've just been unlucky. Yes, maybe some time in the future I will find a guy who is so completely someone I could spend the rest of my life with, who is the Yin to my Yang. But do I seriously think that there is only one person in the entire world who fits this mould? No sirree. Believing that and then acting on those beliefs, well, I may as well just shoot myself in the foot. Right now, I'm looking for a nice boy to have fun with. If I'm still single in 20 years, then yes, I will probably look for someone I can spend the rest of my days with so that I don't die a sad lonely old spinster. But I do not believe that there is only one person with whom I can happily spend the rest of my life with. People who believe this are stupid. How can they be so stupid?

Rant over.

1 comment:

coffeesnob said...

i like personals. funny. very amusing. things people say. lies people say. love the ones in "the spectator". older person personals. still hoping to read one that says "nsoh". no sense of humour.