Friday 13 July 2007

Talking of London..

For any of you who decide you're popping over, here are my top places to visit...

1. Covent Garden

One of the few places to go where absolutely everyone will find something they enjoy. The home of the Royal Opera House, the Punch and Judy public house and the Jubilee Market Hall. The entire place is so steeped in history. Just imagining people walking over those same cobbles 700 years ago is mind blowing, Covent Garden stretches for ages past the covered halls that most tourists seem to hang around in, so leave yourself about a day to explore. There are amazing boutiques and vintage stores selling everything from old LPs and t-shirts to 1940s peep-toes with matching clutch. This is the place for people watching.

There are endless places to eat around and above the piazza which allows you to watch the entertainers while eating and supping one of the many fine wines offered. If you would rather head off the beaten track (where everything gets a lot more exciting) I would recommend Cafe Pacifico for great food, great cocktails and even better service. The food may be as far from British as possible, but it's where all the Londoners go for fun.


2. Portobello Road

You remember the Disney film 'Bedknobs and Broomsticks' with Angela Lansbury, right? Well, then y'all will know what I'm on about. David Tomlinson sang: "... streets where the riches of ages are stowed. Anything and everything a chap can unload, is sold off the barrow in Portobello Road..." and, boy, was he right. One of the most famous markets in the world. If you like to look at old things, this is the place to be. Renowned for its antiques, Portobello Road, in the heart of Notting Hill, boasts scores of fascinating treasures. Pretty much all of the traders and shop owners are Londoners, and a majority of them have had their shop, or their stall pitch for a multitude of years. Probably before you were even a twinkle in your Mamacusa's eye, Gringa! The pretty coloured houses here are on the Notting Hill Gate end of Portobello. If you look at this map, and find the arrow at the bottom pointing away from NHG tube station that's pretty much where these houses are. The place is always buzzing, no matter what the weather is like. Don't stay away because of the weather. That little arrow I just showed you? Go the opposite way, and on that corner you turn right on to towards NHG station is the most amazing little pub. Go and sit in their outside space. But what if it's raining?! I hear you ask... ESPECIALLY if it's raining, I reply. (You just have to trust me on this).


3. Hyde Park


WHAT?? I hear you cry. There are animals in London? I mean, like, real, live animals? You've got to be shitting me! Well, wonderful reader, please hold on to your hat as what I'm about to say may come as a shock. Yes, there are indeed real, live animals in London. And if you visit Hyde Park then you will see that we have many types of animals. Even birds what float on the Serpentine!
Have you picked your jaw up off the floor yet? Hyde Park is beautiful. Particularly in the summer. Go there.



OK, and now for a couple of places I hate. Truly. If you go and discover it was crap and overpriced and blah, blah, blah, don't say I didn't warn you...

1. The Trocadero - based in the heart of Piccadilly, this place is terrible. Once upon a time it was full of fantastic stalls and shops and entertainers. Now, however, all shops are either cheap, ridiculously overpriced tat, or shops you will find anywhere else. Yes, the building itself is pretty enough, but it's by no means an a wonder of the architectural world.

2. Madam Tussauds - Wax figures. I'm sure there's one of these in every city. Do you want to wander around looking at mannequins on your holiday? No, I didn't think so. The ticket price is extortionate, and no matter what time of year you will be surrounded by school kids.


There you go. I'm sure I will add to this list as time goes on, but the first three places? Absolute nuggets. If they were gold, those little dwarfs would be digging them up. Do it.

6 comments:

Brad said...

My best friend just moved to London (Keep an eye out for him. He's the American.) and I'm hoping to visit him either later this year or early next.

I'll have to have you draw me up a travel itinerary!

coffeesnob said...

ahem. you forgot to include the london eye on the "hate" list.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the suggestions Sausage! I will be sure to put them on my list when I'm out there in Sept. As for Madam Tussaud's, we have several of them over on this side of the pond...and while I've never actually been inside, I can tell just by all the hype on the outside that it's just not my cup of tea! :)

Unknown said...

can't disagree with your top 3 choices there. I used to live around the corner from portobello road (pembridge place) and not far from hyde park. love the place.

my favourite place to eat in covent garden was a chinese place in the indoor market upstairs. the lady who owns it is a real character, though I'm told that she has retired in the past couple of years.

Little sausage said...

Brad: Travel itineraries are my specialty!

Snob: Although an eyesore, I can't recommend the eye highly enough to tourists. There is no better way to get a bird's-eye-view of the city. So long as you go on a nice day.

Gringa: Madam Tussauds is generally reserved for Japanese tourists and school kids. I think both get some sort of discount!

Edvard: Another Portobello fan! I love it. My favorite place is Cafe Pacifico, although I also love the little pub (balcony next to the Punch and Judy) which sells Cornish pasties.

RB said...

Yes, I agree with all of your choices, except I haven't been to Hyde Park yet so I'll put that on my list. I got suckered into going to Madame Tussauds by a friend here on vacation. I have never felt so cheated...